Friday, September 23, 2016

Chillhowee Campground

By the time we got away yesterday it was 12:00 pm.
I have never been on the Foothills Parkway so I thought this was the best chance I had.
I took route 321 out of Pigeon Forge that goes through Wears Valley which is a beautiful valley but it is building up and I hope not so much to take away all the farm land.
This road takes you over a mountain road that is narrow and curvy. Yeah curvy like I was coming down the mountain and met a truck in a curve that the driver had to take part of my side of the road. I'll tell you he come as close as I have ever been of getting my mirror taken off.  Anyway we drove through Townsend and on south was soon turning off route 321 and onto Foothills Parkway.
As soon as I passed the sign I was going up, up the hill and up the hill until I was mountain top high.
There are a lot of turn outs where you can park and enjoy the spectacular view.  Nancy and I thought the views were better than the views on top of The Smoky Mountains.
Another scenic view.
Our route soon came out to connect us with route 411 and the route we usually take.
I've read about the Chillhowee Campground that is in the Cherokee National Forest so yesterday was the day to check it out.
Oh my do not take your GPS to get there I repeat don't follow the GPS.
I turned off the nice four lane road onto route 314 after a mile the road started going up hill and turned into a gravel road then a dirt road that twisted and turns with some switch backs and all the dust. One curve I didn't think I was going to make it after getting on the mountain top and driving maybe what seem like 5 miles I came out to a paved road. I met a guy coming the opposite direction flagged him down and asked where the campground was located. He had made the same mistake of coming up the same dirt road as I.
He looked at my motorhome and car and said, "how did you get around that curve"?

All the rough road took its toll on Nancy as she is very sore this morning.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.     

1 comment:

Rick and Kathy Rousseau said...

Glad you made it safely to your destination.
We have had similar problems with all our GPSs over time but when you are unfamiliar with the area you can only hope they are taking you in the right direction. One time we were directed down what seemed like a buggy trail. After backing onto the main drag we drove the nearest town only to find the park entrance up the road.
Hope Nancy's back recovers soon.
Be Safe and Enjoy!

It's about time.