Saturday, July 17, 2010

What a Day

Man what a day I had yesterday. As you know all week I've had problems with my back and stomach,which I thought might be my kidneys.  Well I stayed awake all night with my back acting up which I thought for sure was a kidney stone.  Since I have a history with kidney stones I'm usually righ when I think I have one.  So as quick as day break rolled around we got ready in search of a clinic.  I went to the St. Joseph emergency services that is located on the Nichilasville by-pass.  I went in and told them I was in a lot of pain due to what I thought a kidney stone.  I also told them I had a history of kidney stones and knew what one felt like.  I was very suprised they rush me right in and started giving me fluids intervienously. That with a shot of morphine the pain was a lot less.  Then they gave me a CT Scan. Later they came in and said I would have to go to the St. Joseph hospital in Lexington and see a urologist that will have to break the kidney stone up and get it out since it was 8cm big and too large to pass.
Since they gave me all of the liquids and morphine I couldn't drive and Nancy doesn't drive they call an ambulance to transfer me to the hospital.
Once at the hospital they rushed me to room started with the liquid in my arm,all the while letting Nancy fill out all the paper. In a couple of hours it was down to the out patient surgery room,actually they have around 10 of those rooms.  The urologist came and said he would take a laser to break up the stone,that way I could then pass it through.  By the time it was all finished and back to my room they finally released me at 8:30 pm.  I was just thankful that I was visiting my daughter and her family at this time. Vicki's husband came to the hospital to drive us back to their house where we spent the night.  Even though I'm in some pain I'm sure I'll have a better day than yesterday.

So.how was your day.

1 comment:

Char said...

I used to work in an ER -- it was hard to get some of the docs to give morphine for a kidney stone before they took x-rays (didn't have CT Scans then) until they had one themselves! Boy, did their attitude change. Hope you are feeling better real soon!